Sonic Pi is a programming environment that lets you create music and other sounds with code. Sonic Pi is included with Raspbian for the Raspberry Pi and is available to download for MacOS, Windows and Linux.
- Text-based programming based on the Ruby language;
- Library of samples and synths included;
- Can use MIDI numbers or letter names for notes;
- Friendly editor with coloured syntax highlighting, command completion and helpful error messages;
- Live-coding - change your code as it plays.
Code Club Sonic Pi projects
The Code Club Sonic Pi projects are suitable for learners who are ready to use a text-based programming language.
The projects covers elements from the following strands of the Raspberry Pi Digital Making Curriculum:
Headphones or speakers
To complete the Sonic Pi projects learners will need speakers or headphones.
If you are using a Raspberry Pi then you’ll need either an HDMI monitor with speakers or headphones/speakers connected to the audio jack or USB port.
If you use headphones then make sure that learners know how to control the volume to a comfortable level.
See our Sonic Pi Editor resource for information on getting started.