In this project, children will create a username generator that suggests screen names that they can use for online accounts. They will learn how to export a text file and an image from Scratch. This project ties in with Safer Internet Day and the importance of not sharing personal information online.
The ‘Project Materials’ link for this project contains the following resources:
You can find a completed version of this project online, or it can be downloaded by clicking the ‘Project Materials’ link for this project, which contains:
For this project, club members can make use of a Scratch project containing the required resources. This project is available at jumpto.cc/username-go, or it can be downloaded by clicking the ‘Project Materials’ link for this project, which contains:
Make sure that each child has access to a copy of these resources.
- Working with lists in Scratch;
- Using the paint tool to create images;
- Exporting text files and images from Scratch;
- Importance of not sharing personal information online.
This project covers elements from the following strands of the Raspberry Pi Digital Making Curriculum:
- “Add more variety” - Add more variety to the usernames by adding items to the lists;
- “Add a number” - Add a random number to the end of generated usernames;
- “Create your profile picture” - use the paint tool in Scratch to create a profile picture to go with a username.